Monday, November 19, 2018

The stupid psychopath - Cabal

This was the second time I have read the book Cabal by Clive Barker. The first time I experienced this journey, I was in my teens and strongly immersed in this world. Now, I have a different perspective on life and how I perceive the things I read.

The main characters Decker and Boone battle each other throughout this story, both psychologically and physically. I was taken back after my second run of this book by the character Decker. He is a psychologist that manipulates Boone into thinking that he is murdering people while he sleeps, when in fact it is Decker the whole time. Decker is extremely sadistic and leads his role towards Boone extremely well. Boone is 100% innocent until he finds the Necropolis which is a safe haven for criminals etc. Boone is not welcomed because they can tell he is innocent. But after he is accepted, he gets a taste of the murder etc and becomes engulfed with it. His transformation works out for the better because he is able to take revenge on Decker who is also in the midst of trying to murder Boones woman. Boones tranformation is not only psychological but also physical. He takes on traits that are un-human and extremely evil.

I feel like these transformations are a reflectance of Boones inner demon. They are what Boone was manipulated to believe he was during his innocence, and now they have been manifested into reality. He is able to use this manifestation to get revenge on Decker who has ruined his life and also use these transformation to find his true self. Before these transformtions, Boone was a rather un-intelligent being wandering the lands without reason and with much confusion. It is as if Decker helped Boone in the end to find his true self amongst all the chaos that developed out of Decker's selfish motivations.

No comments:

Post a Comment